Saturday, May 3, 2014

Trevon's Baptism

So Trevon turned 8 on March 7th, and you know what that means! He was baptized! It was a totally different experience doing it in China! We meet for church in a hotel here. Our meeting rooms are used as a restaurant on weekdays. So obviously there's no baptismal font like in Utah! Because of this, we had to go to a different hotel and  Trevon was baptized in a swimming pool.  It was pretty neat. I'm all about living life and having neat experiences, and this was definitely one of them for Trevon, and for me too!

Here in China there aren't many kids being baptized, so there were no suits small enough for him, so he had to have a white suit tailored for him. The swimming pool was pretty deep too.  Then they first got in, the water was so deep Trev couldn't even stand, so they went to the shallow end and even then his head barely poked out of the water when he stood on his tiptoes.  My dad says it was the easiest baptism because he was already mostly under water.  And we had a ton of our branch family there. Sometimes it's sad not being able to have our actually family with us for experiences like this, and to not be able to be there for them, but we are so lucky to have such a wonderful branch here that really has become family, and really does support us in everything we do.  But we were blessed in the way of actual family for this!  My mom's cousin and family were in China, so they were able to come spend a few days with us, and see Trevon be baptized, and we are so lucky we were able to have them there for this! See, like I said, it was a really neat experience! 

But it was also a really neat experience spiritually as well.  Though Trev probably is not going to read this, I just wanted to thank him for all he has done. For making this choice, and then living his life in such a way that he is worth to be baptized!  I'm so proud of him for his decision. Even though he's quite a bit younger than me, he was a huge example to me with this decision. Trev can be quite a stinker sometimes, but he still knew the importance of baptism. He didn't have to be baptized, but he chose to be anyways, and for that I am so beyond proud of him.  I'm also impressed with the way in which he chose to prepare for his baptism. Obviously he wasn't perfect the weeks leading up to the baptism, but you could tell that he was honestly trying to do his best.  And though he'd have moments where he would act out, the way in which he tried to live his life like Christ, and be the best him he could was inspiring.  It was fantastic to see him soak in the lessons our home teachers gave him about baptism to help him prepare.

In Mark 1 of the New Testament, there is an account of Jesus' baptism.  In verses 10-11 it states:

10 And straightway coming aup out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a bdove descending upon him:
11 And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

I love how how right after, the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove.  It's so symbolic of us receiving the  Holy Ghost right after we are baptized.  And just like a dove symbolizes peace, the blessing of the Holy Ghost can bring peace to Trevon.  But the next verse, to me, is even more powerful. I will bet my bottom dollar that God is saying that about each of us after we come out of the waters of baptism.

"Trevon, you are my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased."

"Mikayla you are my beloved daughter, in whom I am well pleased."

"YOU are my beloved child, in whom I am well pleased."

Baptism, like all other ordinances performed in this church is such a sacred, special thing.  We should not take it lightly.  But it is such a wonderful thing to know that by doing something so seemingly simple, and so infinitely important, we can make our Father in Heaven so happy.  Now I'm not a parent, and I don't plan to be for a long time, but Trev... There aren't words to describe how important he is to me, or how much I love him.  There aren't words to describe how happy I was to see him being baptized.  The way I felt that day was so indescribably strong, and that wasn't even as strong as the love of a parent, which isn't even as strong as the love of our Heavenly Father.  Can you even believe how "well pleased" God is with his children when we make these sort of decisions?  It's a truly wonderful thought.  It inspires me to do my best. I know I make mistakes and slip up, but because I made the decision to be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost, that's ok! I can repent, and try harder the next day!  One bad decision, no matter how bad, is NEVER the end.  Not to a Father who loves us all so much, and wants nothing more than to take you in His arms in a loving embrace when you return back home to him.

And now Trevon, like all those before and after him who entered into the waters of baptism, has the infinite blessing of repentance as well.

Families Can Be Together Forever

The Special little man <3

Our Branch family.  These people are fantastic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment